Monday, February 27, 2006

Foot-in-mouth Disease

The recent bird flu scare prompted me to write about this disease I suffer from called the foot-in-mouth disease (please do not confuse it with the Foot 'and' Mouth disease which only affects the bovine segment of the animal kingdom ). I must warn you the disease can be near fatal especially at times when one gets the 'shut-up-dumbass-or-you'll-get-yourself-killed' fits.

I suffered from a really major fit of this sort yesterday. So it was a nice Sunday afternoon and I went to the office to jam for a while (yeah we have a band of some sort in office :)). But this jam session was different. A 6'5'' fellow(who also happens to be my boss) was here from Austin and he has a band of his own in Austin which was recently voted the second best Indie Rock band in Austin. So equipped with an excellent lead guitarist we jammed happily for a while (with little or no contribution from yousr truly since I didn't know the lyrics of any of the songs making it hard for me to do my duties, as the 'lead singer' of the band, to the best of my abilities). It gets a little hot in the storeroom where we play so we took a short breather for a while. We just hooked up a laptop and played some music on it. In a little chatty mood I commented how some bands dont focus on the lead singer. To support my case I gave the example of the song which was playing in the background. At this I got a really dirty look from Jon who went on to tell me that it was a song by his band, the midgetmen, and he had sung the enitre vocals for the song. So as you can imagine I turned a deep red and started stammering about, all tell-tale signs of a foot-in-mouth disease fit :).

So I hope you realize the seriousness of my condition and sympathise with me. In any case, if you're interested in Indie/Alternative/College rock you can give The Midgetmen (www.themidgetmen.com) a shot, its pretty ok.

4 comments:

Abhishek Dimri said...

I must say i have been afflicted with the foot-in-mouth disease quite often in the past. K, you off people would remeber.

The key however, is how to recover from it quickly.
Some ways :-

1. dig a hole rapidly n disappear into it
2. run like hell
3. pretend to have nothing in ur mouth
4. start making rapid hand and pelvic movements to divert the attention of the listner

These are just some i can think of rt now, i am sure more can be added.

KB said...

Dint get one thing - why do u have those sessions in the store room?Scared the stressed junta at Trilogy may vent their anger by wanting to kick ur asses ;-) ?

Kshitij said...

Yeah the junta would definitely kick our ass. Thats why we play only on Sundays when the chances of junta being in office is pretty bleak.

Abhishek Dimri said...

And what's this about u being the lead singer ?? As far i remember there is only one song u can sing - Hey Jude.

Anyways, u must be the uncoolest lead singer of any band in history ever, anywhere in the universe !!