Sunday, February 19, 2006

0 = 5

Attended GIR'2006 (Great Indian Rock) yesterday.

The line up was -

- Cassini's Division
- Medusa
- Demonic Ressurection
- Prestorika
- Zero
- Your Code Name is: Milo

I had great expectations from Cassini’s Division. Can say, they were OK, at least concept-wise. Playing a set of all self-composed songs, with strong influences from Alternate Rock and Nu Metal. But what they lacked was talent. The lead guitarist hardly played anything but rhythm, the vocals were cracking up, the drummer was ok. They really need some home work to do.

Next up was Medusa. Used a lot of electronic mixes to create that effect. But again the guitarist sucked and the vocals were not that good either.

Demonic Ressurection came and went doing the regular-

make a puking sound for 1 min -> flush it down -> shout for another 1 min*

No offence to people who like Death Metal, but you guys mistreat Punk in the same fashion :D

*The recipe for creating death metal songs comes to you courtesy – GD

Prestorika was the first band that evening which clicked. But, having won Campus Rock Idol ‘05, they were expected to play the way they did.

But, honestly, the only band for which I went was Zero. And, without any doubt, I can say that Zero did what all the rest put together couldn’t. They started with songs from their new album, trying to popularize the new stuff.

The new songs were not that bad, but how many time has it happened that you are listening a song for the first time and you start singing along. Maybe I’ll sing along the next time (after having listened to the CD 10-12 times)

Then came the old songs – Not my kind of girl, Christmas in July, Lucy (they have changed the name of this song), PSP 12” (still don’t know what the acronym stands for) and an excellent cover of Roxanne and Mr. Taliban (I hope I got the title correctly)

The last were Your Code Name is: Milo. They performed, courtesy The British Council. The sound was not that bad. Kind of stuff I like. But after all that head banging and mosh’ing, I was hardly able to stand on my feet.

So the second day of GIR’06 finished off with a chicken piece in my hands (so much for the Bird Flu scare in India) and one in the hands of Ketan (along with a strange piece of metal inside it).

Some pet peeves though –

- Where the hell are the punk rockers?
-
Why is everyone playing Nu Metal / Rap Metal?
- Where the hell are guitarists, with those mind-blowing riffs?
- Why can’t we have a Zero-only concert?
- When will the people in my office start listening to rock?
- Why am I not a part of a band :( ?

2 comments:

Abhishek Dimri said...

Neat commentary on the whole evening....i agree...zero was awesome....infact there should be zero only concerts !!

KB said...

Yep...nice show...can't believe I missed it all this time.
Funny thing I remember though...lotsa da-p****e type guys forcibly banging their heads and desparately trying to be in.
What losers!