Monday, January 09, 2006

Rockstar?

It all happened last year.

During one of the rounds of Indian Idol (the desi version of American Idol), Farah Khan was so overjoyed by one of the performances that she declared that the poor chap performed like a rockstar & his performance rocked :O

And, damn, how quickly did everyone in India added the term – rockstar into their (so inspired by the in-thing) vocab.

Now every other singer wants to rock, look like a rockstar. And all they dish out is some crappy, mushy number by Sonu Nigam or some shitty Punjabi number.

And look what they have done to Pal by KK. It was such a nice number and the fools turned it into a disco song.

Why the hell can’t we have some good Indi-rockers. And methods to promote them.

Look how Paki artists are doing. Fuzon, String, Jal, Junoon… they all rock. Tight composition, meaningful lyrics, sticking to the basics (and not going too dhin-chak), these guys are damn good.

But, alas, we can’t think something in the similar lines happening here in India.

Just when the golden era of Mithun da’s, Govinda’s & Jeetendra’s songs was over, came the new age of Remix (and I don’t think they deserve any more space in this blog).

P.S. I vow to myself that I won’t write anything about music the next time. Maybe something about the Cake Theory (and how I became a victim of it), Auto Expo’06, the cute girl at office :), or maybe dissing some assO I meet on day to day basis.

4 comments:

madmita said...

I totally agree!The word's being misused by people who dun even have a freaking clue about music let alone rock...
I mean everytime I hear the lines "I am the neil...blah blah rockstart, superstar" I feel killing the lyricist or myself! First of all- what hell does "I am the Neil" mean??? "the" man is also a "rockstar" aarrr... Shoot me please, but dun play such BullS**t.

KB said...

Jeeeeez!...........
And till now i was thinking it was "I am the neel".......soon to be countered by "I am the Ujala"

I don't care how bad that PJ is, I had to say it.

madmita said...

it's okay. after listening to so much crap on the radio every morning one does develop a low-down-burried-in-the-earth's-core kinda humor!
I undAAstand pal! Bertram suffers from the same!
;)

Abhishek Dimri said...

hey!! why is my innocent name being dragged into this.....btw i like the song can't get the freakin "i am Nikki, sweet n sexy...." wala part out of my head :)