Monday, April 24, 2006

Worldspace - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Got my own Worldspace, thanks to people @ Siemens (who were way too contended by the stuff that plays on Delhi FM Channels)

Spent an hour, fixing the thing.
It needs to be oriented towards the SE directions. And sadly I can't see the Singapore from my balcony. So now there's a big 6 feet pole hanging horizontally from my window with the worldspace antenna on one end ;-)

The Good Part –
  • Dedicated channels for Classic Rock, Alternate, Jazz, Country, Chart toppers, Classical etc. etc. (Punjabi, Bengali, Art of Living Channels also included)
  • No ads, No chattering RJs, Superb Sound Quality

The Bad Part –
  • No Intelligent Display (The songs will play on-and-on and you won’t be able to get any details about the songs)
  • Still haven’t heard all the CDs, Cassettes, downloads that I have, talk about listening to new stuff.
  • Could have been great if they had a portable receiver which you can carry anywhere like your iPod. But since it’s a satellite radio service, wanting something like this is near impossible.

The Ugly Part –
  • The radio set provided by Worldspace (BPL Diva) *ucks (as pointed out by zz9thou shall not suck). It can only store 10 channels. No speakers. Bad Display.
  • Wiring cumbersome (Imagine a wire coming from the window to your table, in case the table is diagonally opposite to the window)

In all, a good buy if you love MUSIC*. But in case you prefer Himesh Reshamiya and their ilk’s, stick to your daily dose of Red FM, Radio Mirchi and Radiocities of the world.

* Music can have different meaning for different people.

4 comments:

KB said...

thou shalt not suck aint imply thou shalt uck or ck or k or whatever

KB said...

And sadly I can't see the Singapore from my balcony.

And I can't see the Timbuctoo from mine. :D

Abhishek Dimri said...

i dunn have a balcony :(

Kshitij said...

I can see some dude working in his cubicle from my balcony :(.